The Royal Academy is committed to respecting and protecting your privacy. Set out below is the basis on which any personal data we collect from you or which you provide to us is processed by us through our website and any other electronic communications network by the Royal Academy.
Reference in the policy to the “RA Website” or the “Website” shall mean all or any of the websites listed below and any other electronic communications network used by the Royal Academy of Arts and its associated companies, namely R.A. Enterprises Limited, the Friends of the Royal Academy of Arts, Burlington House Limited, RA (Arts) Limited, and the Royal Academy Trust.
USE OF INFORMATION COLLECTED
When you use the RA Website, we may collect and process the personal data you provide and use it to:
- Provide services that you have subscribed to online or to fulfill purchases you have made online (such as purchasing a RA membership or ordering a product from the Online shop)
- Reply to queries you have raised (if you email us about a Friends event or a fundraising event for example)
- Help improve your use of and experience of the RA Website by remembering your most recent search or with data streaming when you download a podcast or audio recording.
- Send you information about our products and services if you have not opted out of this.
- Send you information about the products and services of third parties if you have consented to this.
- Undertake statistical analysis of website users to improve content and services.
If you have provided us with your email address, we may send you emails in order to inform you of events or activities at the RA that we believe may be of interest to you, or to alert you about sales or other promotional events at the Online shop. If you do not want us to use your email address to contact you for these purposes, you may send an email containing your name and postal address to RAnews@royalacademy.org.uk
We may collect the following information about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on the RA Website (such as the Friends membership form, Fundraising or Friends Events forms, job application forms or Summer Exhibition application forms)
- Information that you provide so that we can provide you with services (such as when you subscribe to our e-newsletters or information to reply to a request for a quote from Academy Framing)
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence or use the information to respond to your queries (such as Patrons contacting us about exclusive patron events or students contacting us about our postgraduate diploma programme)
- If you complete online surveys or feedback forms then we use the information for research purposes and improving the service we offer (such as the feedback form for the online access to the Royal Academy of Arts’ Collection). The surveys may ask you about your background, occupation, or similar questions.
- Details of your visits to the RA Website (including location data and tracking which webpages you visit). By doing this the RA can improve your use of the RA Website.
- If you enter a competition or sweepstake you will need to provide information so that the RA can contact you in connection with it
We collect information about you when you use a Royal Academy check out service to buy the following products or services:
- the Online shop
- Friends Membership
- On line tickets for exhibitions, events, workshops and learning programmes
Your credit card information will only be used as needed to process your transaction.
The RA does not solicit personal information from children. Visitors twelve years of age and under should remember that they are required to obtain an adult’s permission before submitting any personal information to the RA Website.
SECURITY OF YOUR DATA
We use third party hosting contractors for IT services including hosting and technical support services for the RA Website which allows us to better serve our visitors and customers. The RA requires its third party contractors to maintain the security of the information to which they are provided access and restricts them from using it in any way not authorised by the RA.
Where you have a password to access certain parts of the RA Website then you are responsible for keeping it secure and confidential.
Transmission of data through the internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website and any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your data we will use our security features to protect your data from unauthorised access.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The RA may also compile and provide aggregate statistics about our visitors, customers, sales, traffic patterns and related site information to third parties, but these statistics will not include any personally identifying information.
THIRD PARTY WEB SITES
Connected websites that can be accessed via links from our Website are subject to separate terms and conditions and have their own privacy policies. Please check these before you submit any personal information to such websites. Links to third party websites on this Website are provided solely for your convenience. If you use these links, you leave this Website. We make no representations as to the security, quality or propriety of any website which may be accessed through this Website and accept no liability for the content of or for any loss or damage caused or alleged to have been caused by the use of or reliance on information contained in such websites or goods or services purchased from them. If you decide to access any of the third party websites linked to this Website, you do so entirely at your own risk.
You have the right not to have your personal data processed by us for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you at the time the data is collected about what uses we intend to use the data for or if we would like to disclose it to third parties for such purposes. You will have the opportunity to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your personal data. Alternatively you can contact us as follows:
Friends of the RA: firstname.lastname@example.org
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION POLICY
Friends of the RA: email@example.com